The ACT Greens have launched their planning policies for the 2012 ACT election with nearly $2.8 million of measures to build greener, build better and for better engagement with the community on planning matters.
The ACT Greens planning measures include over four years:
· $1 million for amendment of the Territory Plan to aim at the ACT’s greenhouse gas reduction targets
· $366,000 for construction industry education during the transition to energy efficient buildings
· $200,000 to connect communities through neighbourhood planning
· $20,000 to engage with the plumbing industry in changing over to energy efficient hot water
· $100,000 to research and introduce planning changes to make housing more affordable
· $800,000 for better planning advocacy and support
· $301,000 to Build it Better – proactive prosecution and remediation of building faults, especially for multi-unit development regulation and enforcement
“We need to build Canberra for the future – not the past or even the present. Canberra faces many challenges including climate change, increased population, shrinking household sizes, peak oil and the lack of affordable housing. The ACT Greens will address these issues,” said ACT Greens Planning Spokesperson, Ms Le Couteur.
Full details of the package are attached.